CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICHES
• Four large lettuce leaves, shredded or torn in
• Eight slices of whole wheat bread or pita
• A third of a cup of slivered almonds or
roasted (unsalted pistachios)
• A third cup of raisins
• Two tablespoons of curry powder
• Half teaspoon of salt
• One teaspoon of Dijon mustard
• A third cup of mayonnaise
• Three-quarter pound shredded or diced
Mix the chicken, curry powder, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, nuts and raisins in a bowl and ensure they are well combined. Evenly divide the chicken mixture among pita or bread to make sandwiches while topping with lettuce. Serve or wrap tightly in plastic wrap to store in a cooler.
TUNA AND OLIVE SALAD SANDWICHES
• Eight slices whole wheat bread
• Two ribs celery (chopped)
• A third cup coarsely pitted, chopped
Kalamata or other brine-cured olives
• Half cup drained and chopped roasted red
peppers from a jar
• One-teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Juice of half lemon
• A quarter cup of mayonnaise
• Two cans of solid white tuna (drained)
• One medium tomato (thinly sliced)
• Four lettuce leaves
• Four pita rounds (8 inches)
Mix the tuna, mustard, olives, celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and peppers in a bowl until they are well combined. Make four sandwiches with your pita or bread, tomato slices, lettuce and tuna mixture.
PROSCIUTTO, GOAT CHEESE, AND FIG SANDWICHES
• A quarter cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
• Four thin slices Italian prosciutto or ham
• Four ripe but firm black mission figs
(stemmed and sliced)
• Eight ounces goat cheese
• Eight slices hearty Italian or sourdough bread
Place your bread over the fire for 2-3 minutes if desired until golden brown. Lay four slices of bread on your work surface and spread each with cheese. Add fig slices and one slice prosciutto on top of your bread. Sprinkle with chopped mint (optional) and top with the remaining slices of bread. Serve immediately or wrap tightly in a plastic bag and store in your cooler.
SAN FRANCISCO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
• Eight slices San Francisco sourdough bread
• Olive oil spray or nonstick cooking spray
(when using grill) or two tablespoons butter
or olive oil (when using camp stove)
• Half-teaspoon pepper
• Half teaspoon salt
• A third cup of finely chopped pitted cured olives
• A third cup of drained and finely chopped
sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed)
• Two-thirds cup of finely chopped drained
canned artichoke hearts.’
• Eight ounces of Monterey Jack cheese
Spray olive oil on each slice of bread. Place the slices of bread on a surface ensuring the oiled side if facing down and smear one-quarter of the artichoke mixture on each bread. Add onequarter of the cheese on top of each bread. Place the remaining slices on top with their oiled side facing up.
Place your sandwiches on the grill and put the grill over high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the downside turns golden brown, and your cheese begins melting. Turn the sandwiches over and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the other side also turns golden brown. Continue cooking for one more minute until your cheese has melted completely. Slice every sandwich in half and serve immediately or wrap in tight foil and store in cooler.
Lay your slices of bread on a surface and top each with one-quarter of the artichoke mixture followed by one-quarter of the cheese. Place the remaining four slices on top.
Place a skillet over medium-high heat on the camp stove and melt the butter or heat the olive oil. Add sandwiches on single layers (you have to cook them one by one) and cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottoms turn golden brown and your cheese begins melting.
Turn the sandwiches and heat for another 2-3 minutes until the other side turns golden brown. Continue cooking the sandwiches until your cheese has completely melted. You can serve immediately or wrap tightly in foil and store in your cooler.
LENTIL SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND BASIL
• Eight ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
• A quarter cup julienned fresh basil
• Four green onions (thinly sliced)
• One-cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
• One head lettuce (such as Bibb, butter or
romaine) torn into pieces
• Basic vinaigrette (preferably the one made
with red wine vinegar)
• Half teaspoon ground pepper
• One-teaspoon kosher salt
• One clove garlic (minced)
• Two cups lentils (rinsed)
Place your lentils in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the pepper, salt and garlic while boiling under medium-high heat using a camp stove. Remove your heat and transfer the mixture to a salad bowl, adding vinaigrette on top. Let your food cool for 20 minutes or more making sure you stir occasionally to ensure the lentils are well cooled. After your lentils have cooled, add green onions, basil, tomatoes and lettuce then combine. Add cheese before serving.
QUINOA AND CHICKPEA SALAD
• Citrus salad dressing
• Four ounces feta cheese, crumbled in about
half a cup
• Two tablespoons minced fresh basil
• Half small red onion (finely diced)
• One medium red bell pepper
(seeded and diced)
• One medium cucumber (peeled, diced and
• Half cup pitted, chopped Kalamata olives
• One can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (15
• Half teaspoon salt
• Two cups of water
• One cup of quinoa
• One tablespoon of olive oil
• Four large flour, spinach tortillas or sun-dried
Place a saucepan over medium-high heat on a camp stove and heat your olive oil. Add quinoa to cook while stirring for around a minute. Add salt and water and continue boiling. Reduce heat, and then cover and simmer for around 20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from source of heat, fluff the food with a spoon and let it cool for 15 minutes or more.
Combine the cucumber, olives, onion, bell pepper, basil and chickpeas in a large bowl to ensure they mix well. Add quinoa and cheese to this mixture and stir to mix well. Add the dressing and mix until they are well combined. When serving, add the quinoa mixture into the tortillas and roll up like a burrito.